November 28, 2010

Harsh World, This World.

January 2010
Acrylic on CanvasThis painting was the first painting where I discovered my own personal style. The benday dots are inspired by Roy Lichtenstein. I pulled the idea from an image courtesy of http://www.wellsphere.com

This painting is all about reality-you always hear about the starving children in Africa when you don't finish a meal, what most people don't fully recognize is that its true. And this does not only apply to Africa. It's the reality of the world. I came across the image of a child peeking out from behind his mothers back while doing my culture study of Africa and poverty, and decided to paint it with my own twist. The symbol in the bottom right hand corner is the African symbol for hope and appreciation which is something every person, wealthy or poor, could use in their lives.



1 comment:

  1. This piece is truly amazing! I love the benday dots and the texture, and the baby's stare is so poignant.

    ReplyDelete